Thursday, November 10, 2005

Fermentation, baby

Yesterday while I was microwaving some half-a-week-old macaroni and cheese, I caught a whif of alcohol. I ignored it at first, but as it returned several times at a particular spot in my kitchen, I finally got to making a general search of things. Well, nothing turned up, and I had completely forgotten about it until today when I reached up to get a banana and saw one of my apples was acting a little peculiar: It was dripping. When I looked a little closer, I saw that the apple was actually sitting in a little puddle of something. A simple lean forward, and all the pieces fell together: Wet apple + The smell of alcohol = Fermented apple juice. Yes, indeed.

I hope none of you will be overly disappointed when I tell you I didn't take a taste-test of my little puddle of homegrown wine.

This country just does weird things to fruit. The apple wasn't even that old, and a few months ago I had a banana liquify. Who knows?

2 Comments:

Blogger ann said...

That's definitely gross, but easy to have happen in Japan. :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Rusty and Rachel said...

You mean people pay several thousand yen on the weekend to drink alcohol when all they have to do is squeeze a few two/three week old fruits from the kitchen. You're sitting on a gold mine with that little tid bit:).

Rusty

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home