Monday, August 22, 2005

Wanderlust

I just arrived back from the not-so-roady "road trip" with Denver and Travis, and boy, it was a doozie. First of all, I have lamented and lament now again the fact that our fourth man, Blake B Blackwell, was unable to attend. During the trip, many times did our fellowship express sentiments of regret that he was unable to come, things like, "Man, this would've been even cheaper if we'd had a fourth guy!" or "Shoot, if Blake'd been here, we could've rented two kayaks instead of just one!" or "Oh, man, I bet Blake would've eaten that!" and so on. (I'm kidding, OK, Blake? We really did miss you, and not just because it's more practical to travel with 4 people instead of 3! Wish you could've come, but we'll just have to make up for it next summer--road trip to New England, anyone?)

For Denver, this marathon-esque tour began even earlier than it did for Travis or me (he traveled around Japan with his family the week leading up to this trip). But for Travis and me, here's how it went: on Wednesday afternoon, a bike ride from our schools--bags (and a few last-minute errands!)--scooters to the church building--on foot to the bus stop--bus to the airport-- Denver's waiting--flight to Singapore (7 hours)--about 2 hours of "sleep" on the floor in the airport--earliest train to a bus stop in Singapore--a bus to a market area just inside peninsular Malaysia--a taxi-ride over 100 miles to a city on Malaysia's east coast--an hour-long boat ride to a secluded island--then, finally, alas, freedom to relax a little! It was timely indeed, arriving after 24 hours of almost uninterrupted travel. Whew! We stayed on the island for 4 days, 3 nights--and then did everything all over again, this time backwards of course. That's where I am right now. That's the me that is attempting to compose a post right at this very moment--hours and hours of boat rides, taxis, buses, and air voyages between me and anything approximating good sleep. And I'm feelin' it!
Did I have a good time? Would I do the trip again? Yes, indeed. But you won't here any details that might clue you in as to why, until sometime after TONIGHT--which starts... now. Nighty-night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home