Saturday, October 08, 2005

12 Minutes of... Something

That's what you're gonna get with this post. Well, I signed up and paid to take the GRE. Now I have only a month of preparation and several hours of travel to and through Tokyo between me and the Graduate Record Exam. Oh, boy! I just have to decide what I want to study. This is the hard part, people.

So I've decided to open things up to you all, my international circle of expert blog surfers, to see what advice you have. Philosophy, literature, New Testament, Old Testament, theology, linguistics, English, some foreign language, creative writing, counseling, high-altitude basket weaving... the possibilities are nearly endless! That's the problem, actually. If I don't hear back from you, I will just assume you don't care... OR ... that you are as clueless about what I should study as I am, which is, after all, only fair.

That aside, life is great. In fact, it's so great, I don't know what to write about. I will just say on a side note that typing is much more difficult when it immediately follows exercising with those V-shaped contraptions meant to improve the strength of your hands. I've been using one today because earlier in the week I went to my friend Jon's apartment and did pull-ups on his indoor pull-up bar thing (which is quite an investment when you live in Japan and only have about 300 square feet of floor space to work with). Anyway, during my attempts at besting my personal record of 12 or 14 consecutive pull-ups, the first thing to go was my grip. Jon said he has the same problem, and it got us to reminiscing about the good old days on the playground when we could swing on the monkey bars for hours. So as an effort to reclaim the lost monkey bar skills of my youth, I am using a hand-resistance V-shaped thing (the proper name for which eludes me at the moment).

Woops, that's 12 minutes come and nearly gone! If you have any advice for me, send it on! And if it's real advice and not just a joke, feel free to even email it to me. God bless!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rusty and Rachel said...

Cultural Anthropolgy.Ideology, post-modernism and other things of the sort, world view, nature/nurture relationships, etc. Sound like something that engages your interests and enhaces your abililty to engage and impact your world community?

6:45 AM  
Blogger kteachjoy said...

I must admit that counseling is beyond interesting for me, but considering you had so much of that in undergrad, you may not feel the same way. I think whatever you decide, you will enjoy it because you are one who loves learning no matter what the subject may be. Don't fret, you'll figure something out!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Shoot, now that you mention it, I'm thinking I should've taken the extreme basket weaving option myself. I surely do know how hard it is to decide, but take courage!

My suggestion is: Turn in lots of applications, and after investigation and prayer the best ones will naturally rise to the top.
Gabe is dead on... it seems that when we pursue God's interests, he in turn gives us ours as well.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Maddux said...

Peter, listen to my words of wisdom. I have it all planned out for you. You will go to ACU next fall to study theology. You will become a doctor of philosophy. Then you will become a great professor of bible/philosophy and also a preacher. You must become a preacher. Once this is all estalished, you will begin your creative writing. You will create the next Harry Potter Empire. Your empire will make Harry Potter seem trivial. Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

Hehe, ok. Seriously, I think that any of those routes would be good for you. You are a wonderfully gifted person, and whatever you decide to do, you are going to rock at it. Give me a call sometime!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Blakewell said...

Give Charles Dickens a run for his money buddy! And while your at it, J.K. Rowling as well!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Have you thought about Jeopardy?

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home