Sunday, February 18, 2007

Am I strong enough? Am I smart enough?

On Wednesday nights, our church is regularly blessed with a large influx of underprivileged kids from our surrounding neighborhood. Last week, as I was sitting at a table with some of these kids, one of them mentioned how she was now attending RAC, which is apparently some sort of local remedial school. Neither I nor my fellow "adults" (2 college students) knew about RAC at that time, though, so I asked the girl what it was. To my question another girl (4th grader?) responded incredulously: "You don't know what RAC is?! Do you know ANYTHING?"

I of course laughed my head off. On the one hand, graduate school has done an admirable job of showing me just how little I know. On the other hand, having a 4th grader insinuate that I am devoid of any worthwhile knowledge is just funny. I guess in her world theology, Greek, and history just aren't especially apropos. But I went ahead and told her I do know a thing or two anyway. After all, I can drive, ride a bike, throw a ball, run and jump, tie my shoes, play some instruments, read, skip while chewing bubble gum... The list goes on: I'm quite impressive, I'll have you know.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maddux said...

Peter, you are so hilarious! When are you going to write a children's book?!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Joshua Nichols, MS, LMFT said...

Peter, you really told her....but, the question remains: Who's better at those things, you or her?

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home