Friday, May 05, 2006

Back Home

I'm home. Tomorrow my family will assemble and celebrate Thanksgiving in May, making up for the 2 I missed while I was in Japan. Life at home is good.

It's of course all very strange and bitter-sweet, though more sweet than bitter. I guess the oddest thing to me is that everything feels very, very normal. Driving, eating, being with my family--all perfectly familiar and comfortable, so far. Even the endless background noise of Japanese that ran through my head while I visited two Christmases ago has failed to make an appearance (though it's all there when I choose to call it forward, while it lasts). So for now my life is exactly as I would wish for it to be: Relaxing and uneventful. It'll end soon enough. Next week, I begin the process of finding summer employment, and soon enough I'll be making detailed plans for grad school. For now... Know any good Japanese restaurants needing waiters?

6 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

come to camp!!!!!!! im having dad call you. what's your number?

7:39 AM  
Blogger The Lj's said...

Peter,
I am glad you are enjoying the transition! Enjoy the meals and fellowship with family... you are missed here!

8:03 AM  
Blogger kteachjoy said...

I'm happy for you that everything feels normal. Hopefully you can indefinitely hold on to all the dear memories from Japan while making new memories of normal, everyday life now that you're back.

10:02 AM  
Blogger ann said...

Awh, a make-up Thanksgiving! How sweet! :) Hope you're enjoying the motherland.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hrm... Have you thought "Tag Agency?"

10:58 PM  
Blogger Peter Rice said...

Leigh! You found me! I knew you worked for the CIA.

So are you still hanging around the TA these days? If so, I'll have to come and visit. I've held off thusfar out of fear that all of the oldies (save the venerable head honcho herself) would have passed on. Do tell! If you're still around, I'll promise you a visit (and maybe see about rejoining the team). Ciao!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home