Sunday, March 20, 2005

What are you driving these days?

The adventures in Jenglish continue.

Here in Japan, it is popular to have cars with foreign names, especially English names. We of course do the same in America, using words like "stealth," "mustang," "trooper," "boxster," and the like. Those names sound cool.

Obviously, what sounds cool in English to Japanese people is quite different from what sounds cool to native speakers. Here are a few car names I've encountered while here in Japan:
"We've," "That's," I think I saw a "Please" at least once, and there are many others. I need to write them down. I write this post because tonight I saw one that made me laugh out loud, my all-time favorite: I saw a "Naked."

Foreigner: "What do you drive these days?"
Japanese: "I like to drive "Naked."

F: "How are you gonna get there?"
J: "Naked," I think. (Japanese people don't use articles.)
F: "Oh, I didn't realize that was an option..."

"How do you want to go tonight, honey? Naked?"
"Please."

And I'm sure they know what it means. That's the funny thing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the "Emina"?
And my scooter is the Suzuki "Let's II". The "Let's" was so good they made another.

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home