Monday, March 07, 2005

I love my children

And by "my children" I of course mean, my students.

They're great! (some of them)

I don't have time to elaborate on why so many of them are so great, but here's a little hint.

My 3rd graders (equivalent to American 9th graders) will graduate in two days, so today they gave some/all (?) of their teachers a rose, a card, and a gift. Although I am sometime excluded from the various proceedings at my school, being after all the only foreigner amongst 700 Japanese people, I was not left out today. Three smiling but slightly nervous boys came to my room bearing gifts. The fact that these three boys were bringing me a beautiful PINK rose and a gift with a PINK ribbon on it struck me as a little odd, but then again, I am in Japan. So I took it in stride, and fortunately my gift turned out to be two very nice tablecloths, which are very useful in Japan. Their color was a rugged, manly green. So I was thrilled.

Also, I was erasing the writing on my desks the other day, and on a desk on the front row right in front of where I "lecture" was written (and I quote): "Don't overfriendly with me."

I have more than once been accused of being a flirt, but it's been a while since that accusation came from a junior high girl. I guess I had better tone things down next time I lecture...

These kids crack me up!

2 Comments:

Blogger ann said...

Kawaii! :) The kids are great, aren't they? I think I came into this situation under the mistaken impression that I would be the one impacting the kids, but my kids have taught me and blessed me so much. Glad to see you're having the same experience.
And thanks for the support, Pete. It means a lot.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing how a child can have such a profound impact upon the life of an adult without even knowing it. What a great profession!!!

Joy

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home