Monday, November 29, 2004

How's the Weather?

Last Saturday, we gaikokujin here in Mito celebrated Thanksgiving. And we did it right even from the very start. At 10 in the morning we met, assembled, drew up sides for a friendly but competitive game of flag football. It was a lot of fun, and the teams wound up tying. No major injuries occurred, excluding those inflicted upon an ego or two. Almost everyone managed to make a good play or two (I had one and a half), and I even saw about 50 of my kids from school, who were noticeably thrilled to see their crazy English teacher out playing "rubgy" with other white people. But one of the best things about that morning--something that overarched and enveloped it all, something subtle but powerful--was the weather: It was, without being overly dramatic at all, beautiful. Not only were we sweating a decent little bit in shorts and t-shirts, but the crisp, pristine air revealed a perfectly blue sky. It was amazing!

What is also amazing to me is this revelation, something I'd rather not admit: The weather affects me a good deal. The more time I spend with myself (approaching 24 years now), the more I realize how much my own mood is swayed by that pervasive, powerful thing known as weather. When the weather changes, I change with it. When Spring breaks especially, I feel a sort of rejuvenation bordering on euphoria (and I always thought it was because of Spring Break). Anyway, it's very true, and it's time I admitted it and moved on--I am very, very seasonal.
So anyway, the weather now is rapidly getting colder, darker, more bitter--and I feel myself being slowly swallowed up in it (to a point, of course). My ambitions have taken drastic turns from what they were three months ago when I only wanted to pluck away making silly, upbeat music on the guitar, to run around half-naked outside, to somehow quench my unabating thirst to assault the sea or a mountain or a waterfall or anything bigger than me--now, here sits, quite changed, doppleganger I, wanting nothing more than a good friend (female, if you like) to hang out with (minus the talk) in my warm, cozy apartment, reading books or listening to mellow music and absolutely, positively eschewing anything that would lead us to open the front door and take even the smallest of steps away from my heated carpet...
And now having persuaded myself to become a recluse, I must venture out for school supplies! Drat! Oh well, that aside, for tonight I am a caveman, a torpid, slumbering bear. I am Jacob, that peaceful, domestic little man (though father of a nation, strangely enough...) And I hope to speak to no one tonight save a brilliant dead man named Dostoyevsky and the Lord my God.

But call me if it's urgent... grace and peace

3 Comments:

Blogger ann said...

Good thoughts, Peter. Since I have been here I have noticed the huge impact that the weather makes on my attitude and mood. Maybe it's because the weather impacts so much more of my life here (no climate control indoors, walking/riding a bike in the rain, misc misc). Bailey would always encourage me to spend time in the sun when I was down. What can I say, the man knows what he's talking about.
Enjoy the season of withdrawl and reflection and good reading time. I'm glad I didn't call and interrupt your intimate night with Dostoyevsky. :) I myself and about to settle down with some Tolkien. Take care, bud.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Blakewell said...

Beware of "the cloud."

10:35 PM  
Blogger Maddux said...

I can understand your desire to be with a good friend, especially a close female friend. I am a little confused by the statement, "minus the talk." Perhaps you could explain?

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home