Monday, November 01, 2004

My Response to Gabe's Response to Me (As the Recursion Goes On...)

Brothers and sisters, I have seen the light!!!

Gabe, you did it, you finally did it--I am now postmodern to the umpteenth degree. In fact, I am the embodiment, the bomb-diggity, the mac-suave mojo of Postmodernism itself. I am Postmodern.

But unfortunately, as Postmodern, I'm having this strange difficulty understanding what you say. In fact, I couldn't even sit here and write this (since it comes much more from my "reason" than all those other important means of epistemology) had I not hijacked the Modern mind of my earlier self and kept it hostage inside a cozy but well-ventilated corner of my brain.

So anyway, I keep having to really lean on that part of my brain everytime I want to read your blog (which is really embarrassing, I'm sure you realize). But you know, that whole ball of wax--reason, rational thinking, and whatnot--is actually the primary means I have of deciphering what you say. Sure, I eventually and even sometimes simultaneously process it through my emotions, experience, and all that good stuff--but I mean, the initial hit of it, the translation from you to me via words--well, for that I'm just utterly reliant upon Mr. Modern.

So anyway, what I need you to do for me, dear Gabriel-- and Mr. Modern tells me (rather smugly, I suspect) it "shouldn't be too hard at all"--is to start communicating on your blog primarily, and in fact almost exclusively, through means other than reason. You know, emotions, experience, connotation, communally-derived meaning (whatever that is)--just PLEASE make it happen. (This Modern jerk is really getting on my nerves.) I don't have a clue how you can do it (and you may want to tap your own Mr. Modern to solve that riddle), but I'm sure you can somehow do that for me.

I look forward to your thorough, enlightening, and hopefully largely nonsensical reply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home