Saturday, November 13, 2004

A word about today

Today was a great day, so I want to share it with you.

Today, I got to sleep in a little, but not so much as to derail the entire day. Then I rode my bike to meet up with my good friends Denver and Greg. We're training for a marathon in Okinawa, which is mercifully still a few months away. So we went for a nice 8-9 mile run--and it felt wonderful. I have been slightly sick the past week and a half and haven't had a good run during that whole time, so today was a beautiful, needed ray of light on my marathon aspirations. And the weather was absolutely amazing! (for mid-November or for any time of year) To describe the scenery on the run, I must borrow a word from Coleridge--it was absolutely sublime.

After we had gotten ourselves cleaned up, other friends came by, and we all went to a park together where we ate lunch and played. It was my first time at this park, and I loved it. We played with shameless glee, and the "real" kids there (all Japanese of course) loved it--they thoroughly enjoyed watching us slide down the slides, climbs on the ropes courses, take stupid pictures on, in, and beside the crazy dinosaurs they had there. My favorite feature of the park was its slides. This park has literally the two best slides I've ever seen. One has at least 200 feet of track and descends no less than 80 feet (I used The Force to determine that, Greg). Anyway, I happen to know from personal experience that if you ride down that crazy thing while sitting on a jacket made out of slick material, you will catch some fairly serious air at one point, and you may well over-shoot the sandbags at the bottom intended to "catch" you and wind up doing half a million summersaults before coming to a stop. (Denver is the only one who actually accomplished the latter of those feats, I should note.) The other slide isn't as scary, and I can't really explain what is so amazing about it (partly because that would spoil the fun), but I heartily recommend it for anyone who's not in general to "sensitive" to shocking new experiences.
The chemistry of the group was great. We were all in good humors and were constantly cracking ourselves up (sometimes from pure silliness, though there was a fair amount of genuine wit to it all), and we just really were able, I think, to enjoy each other's company.
Then the park itself was incredible--the ambience, the feel, a certain crispness, an invigorating clarity. The leaves had all changed into brilliant colors, the land there is pleasantly, almost majestically, rolling, and the weather was more than agreeable. It was a great afternoon.

Then we went to the church building, practiced singing for a Christmas concert next month, went to dinner together (11 of us English teachers total), and then we all called it a night. Now I have nothing to do but read another chapter of my Bible and study just enough Japanese to put me out for the night.

Praise God for days like today. Thank you, Lord.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blakewell said...

Great post! You won't how believe how ironic this post is, but we were just talking about you last night. We were saying that you needed to divulge some personal insight into your Japan experience and explain your life there. To wake up this morning only to find this post was just too funny. I was sure either Stephen, Sharon or Mark had gotten to you but apparently not.

Whelp dude, I miss ya!

1:06 AM  
Blogger Blakewell said...

...as for the horrendous grammer mistake, it is way too late for me so I'm a bit incoherent.

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home